March 14, 2023
I found my Tortoise jig. 3/8″ holes did not allow enough movement in 3/4″ plywood and Homasote on the last layout, so tape was used to modify it for 1/2″ holes. After the hole is drilled, paper was glued on top of the hole and when dry a slit was made. This will help hide the hole when track is painted.
I tried sanding the cork roadbed where the siding is lower. It tears when it gets too thin and it hard to hand sand. The solution was to apply drywall mud after creating some slope. To level it out, drag an 8″ blade perpendicular to the track placement.
The smallest amount of clear DAP Alex Plus caulk needs to be used to hold track. A 1.5″ metal putty knife allows the blade to flex and apply it so the line can still be seen.
I have an assortment of Ribbonrail alignment gauges. An 18″ and 24″ was used here to straighten track.
Irregularly spaced ties for the industry track were made by turning track upside down, randomly removing a ties and then stretching them.
My roll cork arrived today, so after a 5 day visit with the grandkids, I’ll start on Gerber yard with over 30 switches in it.